Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

Plotting my own route by freehand

29 Jan 2022
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

This may have been posted before, if so - apologies.

I'm trying to plan a route using my own Start to Finish points but I find that I cannot complete the route back to the Start freehand.

I can certainly can start to create a return route and then I try to modify it by adding in "way points" where I want to go. I  get near to having success. But then the Map has ideas of it's own. It often deletes the route to the way point and/or plots its own return route via places I don't want. I suspect I'm doing something wrong, but what? Any suggestions would be welcome.

Just to reiterate. I know the route I want to plot - I just want to draw it freehand without intervention. Then create a pdf for my own use and friends.

Comments

Sun 30 Jan 2022, 11:31

cycle.travel isn’t really designed as a site for plotting routes you already know – it’s more for planning new ones, and suggesting the best routes between A and B. If you want a pure ‘plotter’ I’d usually suggest a site like RideWithGPS or plotaroute.com.

If you do want to use cycle.travel for this, though, you should be able to do it by making sure that ‘Click map to add more points’ is ticked and then clicking locations, but with a couple of provisos:

• The planner will always find its favoured route between the last place you clicked and the new one; if that’s not the way you want to go, you’ll need to drag that bit of the route to where you want it.
  • If you click near the start point of the route (green marker), cycle.travel will generally assume you want to extend from the start of the route, not the end. This can be an issue if you’re plotting a circular route. If you do want to extend from the end, it’s probably better to drag your current end point instead.
  • cycle.travel doesn’t like routing along busy roads or rough tracks – you can get round this to some extent by putting via points either side and setting the first one to ‘Go direct’, but again, other sites are probably better suited for routing along busy roads.