Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

Problem with Shotters Lane near East Tisted, Hants

29 Jul 2021
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

I used cycle.travel (which is my "go to" planning app) to plan a road cycling route from Haslemere to Ashurst in Hants, allowing use of paths & roads. The software selected an offroad section along Shotters Lane between Selborne and East Tisted. However, although this "lane" appears clearly on the OS Explorer layer, it is far from a lane in the real world! The gradient is steep, the surface is either deeply rutted or non-existent and it is heavily overgrown with nettles and brambles.  No-one has maintained it for some time. All in all, I doubt many mountain bikers would be able to stay upright on it, never mind road bikers. I'm not sure what you can do about it, but is should be removed from your map altogether.

Comments

Thu 29 Jul 2021, 23:56

cycle.travel uses OpenStreetMap as its source map data, so the trick is to update the road properties in OSM - probably change it to a track, bikes allowed, but rough surface. c.t will then pick up the change on its next routing update - usually every month or so. I would usually offer to make the change to OSM but I’m afraid I’m on holiday with a mobile and no laptop right now, so it’s not really practical until I’m home! But anyone can edit OSM and it’s a fun activity to learn.