Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

PDF maps

11 Jun 2021
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

Hello Richard,

I'm pretty frequent (and happy) user of the pdf maps on cycle travel. I didn't found the way to print a custom area map (like on https://cycle.travel/map/area) with a personal journey highligted on it. Isn't it possible or am I missing something?

Otherwise, cycle travel doesn't seem to handle the accent correctly on the maps. A cross appears instead of them (Genève -> GenXve). I would appreciate if you can correct it.

Thank you for your beautiful site,

Olivier

Comments

Fri 11 Jun 2021, 21:30

Those accents…! It’s very curious how the same software draws the on-screen maps and the PDF maps, yet manages to get the accents wrong only on the PDF maps – it’s been bothering me for years.

I’ve just had another go at it and it should be better now. It’s still not perfect (it gets the river name wrong in “Rhône”, and some Czech accents confuse it too), but it’s a lot better. I’ll see if I can find a way to fix the remaining glitches.

There isn’t currently a way to have a journey shown on an area map but it’s a good idea – I’ll look into it.

Sat 12 Jun 2021, 09:45

Thank you so much for your very quick answer. It seems to work almost perfectly, at least with french and german accents.

Wed 4 Aug 2021, 09:59

Hi Richard, sorry bothering with that, but it seems that the accents on pdf maps are once again broken...

All the best

Wed 4 Aug 2021, 15:53

I think it was not so much that the old problem had returned, just that a few fonts (in particular, the streetname font and the river font) were never fixed. I’ve had a go at them and they should be ok now. If you’re still having problems, could you give me a link to a journey that’s problematic?

Thu 5 Aug 2021, 16:20

Everything seems fine, thank you! Should it happen again I'll send you a link to the journey.