Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

Including Ferries?

13 Apr 2021
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

Hi,

I wondered if your route planner could include ferries? For example, Wallesea to Burnham on Crouch, East Mersea to Brightlingsea etc - short ferry trips which allow a river to be crossed without a long detour. I note these appear on the maps but don't automatically come into route.

Comments

Tue 13 Apr 2021, 15:07

It includes ferries when they’re mapped properly on OpenStreetMap (the source map data which cycle.travel uses).

Unfortunately this isn’t always the case – often the ferry or the pier isn’t connected to adjacent roads/cycleways, so cycle.travel doesn’t know how to get off the pier and ride onwards. At Burnham-on-Crouch, for example, the pier just ended on the seafront, without being linked to the road. I’ve now fixed this in OSM and cycle.travel will reflect that on the next update in a month or so. Let me know if there’s any others you spot that aren’t working properly.

East Mersea to Brightlingsea does seem to work happily already! https://cycle.travel/map?from=&to=&fromLL=51.798271,0.992507&toLL=51.810944,1.025307

Wed 21 Apr 2021, 23:16

Thank you and will keep out for others.