Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

downloading a route to Garmin Etrex 20

22 May 2014
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

The route planner is really good on a turn by turn print out. I recently got a Garmin Etrex 20 and I'd like to download routes on to it. Can anyone tell me how to do that. Be so much easier than trying to do it on garmin's own basecamp! Thanks, Garry

Comments

Fri 23 May 2014, 08:15

I think you click on the icon that looks like a mobile phone in the "Route tools".

Fri 23 May 2014, 10:53

By clicking on that icon the gpx file is downloaded to the downloads file on my p.c. But I can't see how to then get it to my Garmin device. Any suggestions welcome. G

Sat 24 May 2014, 20:29

I've not tried it on an eTrex 20 (I have an older Legend HCx) but I think there's two ways to do it. You can use Mapsource, which comes with the Garmin; or you can manually copy it onto the GPS. To do the latter, you put the GPS in Mass Storage mode so it appears on your computer like a memory card; then you copy the file across so it sits inside a folder called GPX, which should in turn be inside a folder called GARMIN.

Sun 25 May 2014, 09:17

Thanks Richard I'll give it a try. G

Sun 25 May 2014, 10:16

I can copy it into the GPX file - but can't find on the Garmin unit in order to use it. How/where do you find it on your Legend unit.? G 

Fri 6 Jun 2014, 16:34

I have a Garmin Edge Touring.  With the GET you open up the garmin folder on your machine and put the gpx route into the New Routes folder.  Disconnect and switch the garmin back on.  It should then have loaded into courses. 

There is a glitch in that the course may be called Active route rather than whatever you called the file and it loses its date, so you have to rename it on the garmin.  This seems to be a recent problem as older routes I downloaded from CT were fine.