Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

Love of church ;) & TCX issues

3 Aug 2020
by nfkb
in forum cycle.travel
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

Hello,

first I would like to thank the author of cycle.travel because I find it a great tool to foster the love for riding. 

Then, I have noticed the love for small detours to see old churches in the center of the village. Especially in France where I live. Sometimes, it's a bit weird, like on the descent from Alpe d'Huez where I am staying for holidays. Would be awesome to have a kind of cursor for our hate/love of detour and small roads :)

Then, I'd like to underline that Garmin Connect seems to dislike the TCX format you advise for it and prefer the previous one.

Stay safe, have nice ride guys !

rémi nfkb

Comments

Mon 3 Aug 2020, 18:04

Ha, that’s funny! There’s no intentional bias towards churches but persuading the algorithm not to take detours is harder than it sounds. It’s something I’m always working on and I’ll add this to the test cases. 

There’ll be good news on Garmin Connect later this month so watch this space!

Tue 18 Aug 2020, 11:20

One of the advantages of cycle travel is the ability to pull the route about, and create waypoints, which you can use to peg it to your preferred choices. So presumably just drag it where you want it to go and put enough way points on to stop it going where you do not want.

For practice, try going from Long Ashton across Bristol to Stoke Bishop, and forcing it go up through the Ashton Court estate and over the suspension bridge.