Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

tracktype grade 1 not considered as paved?

16 Apr 2020
by Kaihs
in forum cycle.travel
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

I've made the observation that tracks with tracktype=grade1 are avoided in 'paved only' routing mode? Is this by design?

The wiki defines it as 'Solid. Usually a paved or sealed surface.'

At least in Germany grade1 is normally paved and perfectly usage with a road bike.

Do additional properties like surface/smoothness help to select it for paved routing?

Comments

Fri 17 Apr 2020, 10:19

tracktype=grade1 is a really ambiguous tag. In Germany, you’re right, it usually means paved. In other countries it often means a good unpaved surface (compacted or similar). In some places it depends whether it’s applied to a road or a track… and so it goes on.

Coincidentally I’ve been working on the paved/unpaved logic over the past couple of days, so I’ve taken a look at this. As of the next map update (probably next week) it’ll now assume tracktype=grade1 means a paved road in mainland Europe. The logic will be a little different in the UK/Ireland, North America and Australia/NZ as usage differs there.

But I’d generally advise people to use surface=paved rather than tracktype=grade1 anyway – it’s much clearer!