Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

Waypoint won't snap to footpath

15 Apr 2020
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

Sometimes waypoints will refuse to snap to certain footpaths.

E.g. https://cycle.travel/map/journey/147632

Between waypoints 9 and 10, there are a couple of footpaths. I can't get the waypoints to snap there, and I can't get the route to follow the paths. 

I do realise footpaths are dodgy ground for cycling. But generally it is still possible to force cycle.travel to route along footpaths. I'm just wondering why I can't route along these specific footpaths. 

Comments

Wed 15 Apr 2020, 12:46

It’s an artefact of the way the footpath is tagged in OpenStreetMap (which cycle.travel uses as its base data). Generally cycle.travel is happy to be dragged onto a footpath as long as it’s not actually tagged as ‘no bicycles’.

The area you’ve found is a bit strange in OSM, as they’re tagged as ‘tracks with the legal status of footpath’ (more or less!), which isn’t a combination that cycle.travel knows how to parse. I’ll see if I can tweak it to allow pushing along this combination.

Thu 16 Apr 2020, 09:34

Thanks Richard, I'll check back in a week or so and see if it's working.

Wed 1 Jul 2020, 09:59

Hi Richard

Resurrecting an old thread here, but I'm finding more and more examples of the waypoint refusing to snap to tracks. Some of these tracks are even bridleways, though it appears openstreetmap thinks they're footpaths. 

Honestly it's makes planning mixed routes with this site very frustrating.