Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

Elevation data - comment

2 Oct 2019
by Mongoose
in forum cycle.travel
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

Hi Richard

We had a ride today where cycle.travel calculated the ascent at 417m over 28 miles but my Garmin recorded it at about 670m after corrections on the ride to and from the start/finish [it has a barometer]. This did result in some muttering from the group because I said it was a local easy ride.  I always expect some difference between the calculated and actual but this seems particularly marked as we were not going anywhere that was steep sided or on rail trails. I looked at the same route on GPSies and it gave 654m ascent. In the past I have not found much difference in calculated ascents between the two methods - has anything changed?

Thanks

Alistair

Comments

Sun 6 Oct 2019, 13:25

It’s smoothing the elevation out a bit more than it used to – I wouldn’t have expected that much of a discrepancy, though! I’ll have a look into this one and see what I can work out.

Wed 9 Oct 2019, 09:47

I’ve done a bit more work on the elevation graph and it’s now totalling it all up at 623m. This looks about right to me – within the margin of error of the Garmin and the source elevation data, at any rate!

Wed 9 Oct 2019, 23:00

Thanks very much Richard that looks much better. We find there are discrepancies between the Garmins anyway - there are five of these in the group for most rides with four different models that all give slightly different results.