Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

Routing Anomaly in Spain

9 Apr 2019
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

Hi - I have been scratching around recently looking at various routing websites / apps and testing them on a known ride near where I live in Conil, Cadiz. The attached screen shot shows the start & end points of a cycling track from Chiclana to San Fernando; it's gravel, vehicles can use it to the bridge but it is ride-able on any bike except a perhaps road / racing bike.CT will not show the direct route but all other websites will including Google maps. Is this an OSM bug, a CT problem or a Spanish problem? Thanks

Comments

Tue 9 Apr 2019, 22:02

I think it’s because the section of track by the diamond junction on the motorway is tagged in OSM as simply ‘highway=path’. 

That doesn’t imply that the path is cyclable, and cycle.travel likes to play safe, so it assumes you’ll need to walk on that section and downrates it accordingly. (If you zoom in you’ll see that c.t shows it just as faint dotted green, i.e. a footpath.)

Changing it in OSM to highway=track, or adding bicycle=yes, will tell c.t that it’s cyclable and it should then route that way.