Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

Embed a journey into travelogue?

Wednesday 27 March
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

Is it possible to embed a journey (route) into a travelogue post.  I can paste a link to a journey but cannot see a way to embed the route map in a way similar to an embedded photo.  Thanks. 

Comments

Wed 27 Mar, 15:54

Graham, I'm not quite sure what you're referring to but this previous discussion may be of help.

https://cycle.travel/post/5490cycle.travel/post/5490

Thu 28 Mar, 20:42

Hi Hobbes:

Thank you very much for this!  I am new to cycle.travel - what a marvellous platform!  It looks as though there may be some options under Route Guides.  I am planning (in the macroscopic sense at this time) a ride from Germany and into France and would like to break the trip into daily travelogue "chunks" and post with a map of the route for each day with a bit of description and a couple of photos.  I will play with the Route Guides a bit to see if that can work.  If you are well acquainted with this platform I wonder if you might have any insights into my post about inclusion of ferries in route planning. 

Sat 30 Mar, 09:03

Graham, I've had a little poke around at the Travelogues.....

If you go the "My" page, on the left just under my name there is the opportunity to "write a new posting".

This will let you write notes, add photos and a saved route. Others can comment and you can go back and edit your post (but not add any new routes/change the route - that seems to be a 'one time offer'.

I love CT but this is not its strongest point.

For anyone to read your post they will need either a link to the post or a link to your account (in which case your postings will be displayed in reverse order - latest first and any postings you make to the forum will be in there too).

If you're like me and your actual ride varies from the planned one then that adds complications in that displaying the planned one is no longer accurate and you'll need to import the actual ride. Not the most straightforward to do accurately on the road. 

You'll need to have any photos you want to use on whatever device you'll be using on the road. 

Currently, there are better options out there for recording a journey but which is 'best' depends very much on our objectives for the Travelogue.

Is it for us? A record of each day?

Is it for others so that they can track our progress? If so, how connected and tech literate are they?

Is it a stop gap - written on the road until we have the chance to relive the adventure and rewrite a more thorough version?   

I heartily recommend keeping a Travelogue. What seems vivid today can become blurry after several days on the road. A few years later? Very blurry! Even the act of sitting down at the end of each day and making some notes and reviewing the photos can help cement the sights, sounds and feelings in our minds.

In my experience, I wanted something that was simple, easy to do on my telephone. I was solo so could devote a bit of time each evening (or even during the day) making notes and writing things up. With others that might be anti-social. 

If you use a gps unit most will have the ability to record out rides. A (free) Strava account means that at the end of each ride a tap of a button will upload the ride to Strava, I can add comments and all the photos I want. Assuming some decent internet connectivity a permanent record of each day with minimum input. Easy to share. For on the road ease of use it's great! RWGPS do the same and Komoot probably does too. When my gps died in the middle of my trip the only reason I replaced it was for the ability to record each day. I have no interest in performance cycling but a record of those special days on the bike? Priceless.

CrazyGuy is the grandaddy of bike journal sites but not the easiest to use without practise (and stay the hell away from the forums there!) 

However, one great, absolutely stupendous thing about CT is outlined here. Perhaps, if you think less of displaying a map and more in terms of a picture of a map you'll have more flexibility in your options.  

Wed 3 Apr, 02:13

Thank you for all of this great info HobbesonTour.  I will explore Strava.