Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

Possible to view select POIs?

Tuesday 7 May
by Gauvins
in forum cycle.travel
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

I am planning a route across France, Spain and Portugal, where POIs abound. My current approach is to generate a general route with the assistance of cycle.travel, and to compare with UNESCO's World Heritage map, as it might be disappointing to ride just a few kms past a major historical/natural site, oblivious to its existence.

There are so many features to cycle travel that it might already be possible. 

What do you suggest?

Comments

Tue 7 May, 23:33

You can use the new 'Markers' feature. This is a method that allows us to add our own POIs to either a route or a map. A variety of labels can be attached and there is space for notes. 

You'll need to find the POIs -but you seem to be already doing that. As a subscriber, you can gain access to extra maps (website & app). I believe the IGN maps are best for highlighting POIs making life easier for adding markers.

For example, here is a zoomed in section of IGN in Spain

Here is an example of my POIs, mainly campsites but other labels are possible

Wed 8 May, 15:58

Thanks for the suggestion. 

You write "As a subscriber, you can gain access to extra maps (website & app).", which I may not fully understand. You mean that I can change cycle.travel's map layer (using the card deck icon top right) that will display POIs such as IGN?

Thu 9 May, 10:34

Yes, we can change the map layer using the card deck icon on the top right.

Subscribers get to see more map styles, notably Ordnance Survey in Britain and IGN in Europe.

I'm not sure "display" is the correct description for the POIs on maps. If the map shows POIs then we can see them. They are not 'clickable' unless we place a marker on them. 

Other map styles, such as OpenCycleMap will show bike paths and routes. 

This is NL/Belgium on OpenCycleMap