Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

Route Changes When Sent to Connect

Thursday 2 May
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

I use Cycle Travel across UK and Europe - it's brilliant.

On Tuesday I created a there and back route in the Cotswolds. When I sent it to Garmin Connect the route changed in Cycle Travel to a round trip from Shrewsbury to Hinkley. I have tried this on different devices and browsers and the same thing happens.

I tried re-saving, changing the name, closing the browser etc. I tsi not a Connect problem

Here is the route https://cycle.travel/map/journey/565344 - try it and see if you get it too. Any ideas   

Never had problems before 

Comments

Thu 2 May, 15:46

Hi John,

It's not just sending it to Garmin Connect that causes this behaviour. I added a via point and it changes to Shrewsbury/Hinckley. Looking at the elevation profile has the same effect. I've never seen anything like this before. What happens if you delete the route in cycle.travel and then recreate it. Does the same thing happen? What happens if your route is slightly different?

Thu 2 May, 16:51

Hello 

I deleted the course and recreated the round trip, saved but with a prompted name and it all looked good. Sent to Connect and the route transformed again.

Tried again but saved with a different name New Broadway and sent to Connect without a problem.

Not sure where this all came from but I have been planning a route from Shrewsbury a couple of weeks ago and used Leicester to see how far it was for one of my friends to meet us, so not sure if this had become associated with the saved name.

Mysteries of programming!

Thu 2 May, 17:04

I wondered if it involved Charlbury/Shrewsbury confusion, but your suggestion about Leicester makes more sense.

As you say, a mystery, but I'm sure that someone will be along with an explanation.

By the way, it looks like a nice ride.

Thu 2 May, 17:17

That’s very curious!

If it does happen again please don’t delete the route where it’s happening – I’d like to track down what the issue is.