Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

Unable to save route

Tuesday 16 April
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

I have the following route: https://cycle.travel/map/journey/531230

When I try to add a point, or modifiy the route, and try to save it, I get the following error: Sorry, the route wasn't saved because an error occurred: error

Any tips or help? Thanks in advance!

Comments

Tue 16 Apr, 13:31

Bennie, I checked and CT (website) will let me create a route and save it.

Then I opened your route and could save it.

Then I moved a viapoint and it wouldn't save.

I went back to the original and moved a viapoint a small distance. It saved. 

I'm not sure if this is a temporary glitch or an issue with the route length & number of viapoints? (I think not - I've had longer routes and more viapoints)

In the meantime as a workaround, you can select a viapoint about half way along. Select it and choose 'delete after'. Save this as 'first half'.

Then reopen the original, select the same viapoint and choose 'delete before'. Save this is 'second half'.

Create a folder, put both 'halves' in and you can see the 'whole' journey by clicking on map.

I've moved viapoints and the (half) route can be saved. 

Note: It's not currently possible to rejoin the two halves in CT.

That's a great looking adventure!! Enjoy! 

Tue 16 Apr, 22:15

Could you give me an exact set of instructions to reproduce the issue? I’ve tried making a few changes and haven’t managed to find it. Something like “drag point 3 to the middle of Penzing, then save” or similar.

Wed 17 Apr, 07:50
Could you give me an exact set of instructions to reproduce the issue? I’ve tried making a few changes and haven’t managed to find it. Something like “drag point 3 to the middle of Penzing, then save” or similar.

That's pretty much what I did. I created a VP (3) dragged it to the middle of France, CT adjusted the route but when I went to save....

Similarly, taking existing VP2 and moving it to the centre of France the same thing happens.

I also checked VP 15. Ditto.

Then, on the original, I slightly adjusted VP2 (total distance - 2km) and it saved no problem. 

I gradually increased the distance, saving each time until I received the error message. Shortening the diversion left me able to save again.

It appears to have something to do with distance?

Sorry!

Wed 17 Apr, 09:25

I've been playin' around a bit. Started at Northcape in Norway, ended in southern France. A route to Portugal is impossible to save.

Created https://cycle.travel/map/journey/559196

No problem saving it.

But extending the route to Villeneuve sur Lot, and saving. That's a no-go. Distance at a maximum? Or turn-by-turn instructions on a maximum?

Wed 17 Apr, 12:24

Ahhh, I see. Thank you. Yes, essentially the journey is so long that it’s overflowing the column length in the database. I can fix that but it will potentially block the database for a few hours, so I’ll run it on a quiet overnight!

Wed 17 Apr, 12:40

Thanks a ton for the help guys! I'll split the route in half for now but I'll keep the original for when the fix is deployed.
And ps; thanks a lot for the site, allowed me to daydream of my adventure a lot while working on my master thesis ;)