Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

13amp Charging Points

Saturday 6 April
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

Hoping "ebike" isn't a naughty word here ?

I am trying to plan a route around "13amp Charging Points" ... Bosch have started creating a FREE network on the lines of the Tesla charging network, unfortunately at the time of writing they are still so few and far between. Also stumbled on the "National Trust" (who are starting to use ebikes) having strategically placed power points, but have so far been unable to pinpoint there locations :(

Hoping this might be something "cycle.travel" might pick up on.

FYI ... The Bosch network can be found here

P.S ... I have written to both "Raleigh" and "halfords" suggesting this might be in their interest ... would certainly help me :)

Comments

Sat 6 Apr, 17:23

Stephen, just below your post: https://cycle.travel/forum/thread/5880 :-)

Click on any point on a route and you should be able to select charging points to be displayed on the map.

You can even use the new marker function to mark them off so that they are always visible to you.

This is for the website, I cannot speak for the apps

Sat 6 Apr, 22:21

Thank you HobbesOnTour ... What a plonker comes to mind

Thought I had covered all the possibilities in my forum search before posting

Still ... you are all now aware of what Bosch is trying to accomplish 

Sat 6 Apr, 23:01
Click on any point on a route and you should be able to select charging points to be displayed on the map.

So how ?

I looked at Barnstaple 

where I know there is a Bosch charging station

Bosch Charger

Bikeshed Barnstaple

The Square

EX32 8LS Barnstaple

Latitude: 51.078440796276

Longitude: -4.0552164181742

+441271328628

[email protected]

www.bikesheduk.com

Sun 7 Apr, 11:29

Hmmm... interesting.

I don't live in the UK and my bike is acoustic so I don't use this feature at all.

Here in Spain I can ask CT to look for charging points (but it doesn't find any near me - not a surprise)

To look for charging points close to my route I click on any point on the route (blue line) and I'll see a box like this... (note charging bottom right)

This is my old stomping ground....

All the green thingies are charging points.

However, there seems to be an issue in the UK...

CT is not showing the Charging option. I don't know why.

However, by putting in the co-ordinates (longitude,lattitude) in the 'to' box I can locate the example you gave and add a marker. This marker can be visible every time you open CT and you can add / edit a note. Useful for all future planning. Save it as a 'Public' marker and you can share a route with Markers showing, I believe.

I rate CT very highly for creating great routes to cycle and it is by far the most reliable planner out there. However, the further we go from route planning the more careful we should be. Campsites can be shown that may be closed, hotels may not be listed, water fountains may be dry. I once pulled up at a ferry to discover the next sailing was in a couple of months! :-) (Entirely my own fault!!) Charging points may be in unsuitable locations, indoors (and have specific access times) or just out of order. For something important to my journey I'd be building up a database of places I'd checked myself. A bit of work, but in the end far more reliable.

Shortly, the Markers option should be available in the app. In that case it's a simple process to whip out the phone and add a marker when we're right there! 

Sun 7 Apr, 12:14
"However, there seems to be an issue in the UK"...

Now there's a surprise 😲 

"CT is not showing the Charging option. I don't know why"

Hopefully Richard is now aware and looking into it

Because I have the information in front of me I will add all the existing Bosch charging points and make public 

How to find the others ?

Sun 7 Apr, 14:41

It’s only enabled in mainland Europe because the data is poor (verging on non-existent) for the UK, I’m afraid. I just did a quick count and OpenStreetMap has 7100 charging stations in Europe, but only 45 in the UK.

I figured that showing the option when it will almost always return no data would just disappoint people. It would be great to have equal coverage in the UK to the rest of Europe.

Sun 7 Apr, 14:59

Have just sent a message to "zapmap" hoping they might be able to fill in the blanks

Mon 8 Apr, 15:49

zapmap replied :)

Thank you for contacting Zapmap support.

Chargers supporting 3-pin connectors are shown on Zapmap!

​To filter the charge-points by connector type, tap the filters icon at the top right hand corner of the screen to open the filters menu, tap "Connector types", tap to select the connector options you would like to see, and then tap the orange "Apply" button at the bottom of the screen to filter the chargers and return to the map.

We always aim to keep the information listed on Zapmap as complete and up-to-date as possible, but if you have discovered chargers which do not currently appear on the map, the best way to let our data team know is by using the "Add a public charge point" option in the Settings menu in the app. The app will prompt you to add all the details our data team need, which helps them to verify the details and ensures a faster turnaround of requests.

Once we have received your request through the app our data team will look after adding the new chargers to the map.

More information on submitting updates can be found at our website: https://www.zap-map.com/add-a-charge-point

Maybe CT could liaise with zapmap to share information ... just an idea

Mon 8 Apr, 17:44

Unfortunately Zapmap’s database is paid-for and wouldn’t be economic to incorporate into cycle.travel. I’d generally encourage people to contribute to OpenStreetMap rather than enriching a private company’s business for free!

Mon 8 Apr, 20:28

Shame ... guess the way forward is to take the location off zapmap 13amp sockets which are on your proposed route and add to your personal CT map

Fortunately their location is FREE for the taking

OR ... would you prefer they were added to the sharing CT map ?

I was pleasantly surprised at just how many there are ... coupled with the Bosch charger points and it is starting to look better ... for ebikes

Just need Raleigh, halfords an the National Trust to come onboard

You can access the zapmap online @ https://www.zap-map.com/live/