Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

Downloaded routes not available -- app crashes [Android]

Thursday 28 March
by loopernow
in forum cycle.travel
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

Hi -- thank you for this app. The routing is really useful!

I've been playing with the app, and I just figured out how to download areas. I was zoomed in to my city, and this made it not clear at all how to download an area. Maybe a little helpful blurb could appear? I have downloaded my local area now.

But the main issue is, both before and after I downloaded the local area, I could not/cannot access routes if I download them to my phone. It says they're downloaded successfully, and it shows the little phone icon next to those, but if I then tap on the route, it takes me back to the "Route folders" screen, which becomes blank (my folder of routes disappears from it). Then, if I back out and then go back into my routes folder and tap on the downloaded route again, the app crashes.

Comments

Thu 28 Mar, 19:32

Clarification about the first issue, of how to download maps not being clear -- if you are zoomed into one tile, it is not obvious that you have to tap on the tile to select it. Instead, I was tapping on the download button and nothing happened--so I thought the app was unresponsive/buggy.

But again the larger issue is accessing downloaded routes--this truly does seem to be bugged. I don't know if there's a workaround that I could employ, or something that I'm missing?

Thu 28 Mar, 22:50

Loopernow, I've just checked my Android app and everything is working as it should.

Offline, I only have access to my Downloaded routes as represented by the phone symbol on the right hand side.

In your shoes I'd create a new, test route. I'd save it, making sure it wasn't labeled as private. Then I'd download it on my phone and see if it works. If it didn't, I'd delete the app and reinstall it.

As a matter of interest, can you access the affected routes from the website - as opposed to the app? 

Fri 29 Mar, 08:45

Could you give an example of a route (public, not private) where this is happening?

Sun 31 Mar, 00:12

Hello--thank you all for the input. All of the routes I'd made were private, so I made some public ones.

The app, for the most part, stopped crashing. Instead, I saw a message I'd never seen before and a folder I'd never seen before, after I took my phone offline: "We couldn't fetch your saved journeys - please check you're online" and the Downloaded Routes folder. And in that folder I was able to see the routes I'd downloaded.

The app crashed again, so I uninstalled it, restarted my phone, installed the app again, downloaded maps in my area again, and downloaded some routes again. For the most part, I was seeing the message above rather than the app crashing. However, I still see a blank Route folders screen after I try to access downloaded routes, with one exception.

The message about checking to see if I'm online displays as I navigate from screen to screen within the app while offline.

There's a route I made that's out of state. It's public. It's called "George to Mike." I can access that route while I'm offline. Then I made a public route in my local area, "alamo to alamo"--I cannot access that route. I made a new private route. I cannot access that route nor previously created saved routes, except "George to Mike," while offline, although they are downloaded.

Could something about my profile be corrupted? It seems like it's something to do with the area around me…or maybe it's just the fact that the routes are within the area of the maps I downloaded?

The app crashed one more time while trying to access the first route I'd downloaded, which is a private route. In total, after reinstall I've downloaded four routes, some private, some public, and the only one I can access while offline is "George to Mike."

Sun 31 Mar, 00:15

Oh, and yes, I can access all of my routes via the website, and in the app while online.

Sun 31 Mar, 00:25

Update: I think it has to do with whether the saved routes are within areas where I have downloaded maps. I created two new public routes: "Tampa Bay to Miami" and "DC to NY," and downloaded them. I downloaded the Florida maps for the Tampa to Miami route. I didn't for the for the DC to NY route.

I can access "DC to NY" offline. I can't access "Tampa Bay to Miami" offline.

So the only downloaded routes I can access are the ones in areas where I haven't downloaded maps.

Tue 2 Apr, 15:06

Thanks – that’s a really useful set of deductions. I’ll look into it and see if I can work out what’s happening.

Wed 3 Apr, 00:51

Thanks so much!

Wed 3 Apr, 22:18

I’ve figured out what this is and a fix will be in the next version – thanks again for the useful reports!

Sat 6 Apr, 19:08

Absolutely!

Wed 17 Apr, 19:57

I have what looks like the same problem: route from Geneva to Cherbourg, split into 9 separate day stages. On the phone (Android) I can download the first two, but get "Sorry there was an error fetching the journey" on all the others. However on PC (Firefox on Linux), there's no problem. Q: Any idea of date for when is a fix likely to be available ? Thanks !