Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

A question on Markers and Privacy

Friday 22 March
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

Hola!

Can you elaborate on the difference between Private & Public markers, please?

I've played around a little and I'm not sure of the difference. For example, I've saved a marker as "Public", saved a route with that marker (Public), gone incognito (Chrome) and do not see the marker either on the map or when I open the (public) route.

The Patreon email suggests that the difference between Public & Private will become more distinct in the future. I'm just wondering if by adding markers now that are public will I be in danger of cluttering up the map for other users down the road? (Most of the things I'll be marking will be, how shall I say it .... eccentric :-) )

In a similar vein, I have placed three Markers close together, one saved to the route, one public, one private. I can see all three when I open the route, can see two when I open the map (not the one saved to the route) but when I open the map for a folder that contains this and other routes none of the markers display on that map. It's not a criticism, not a feature request just some feedback.

When this becomes available on the app it will be incredibly useful to travellers to mark off places that interest them live along the way. I've often stopped to add a POI on Osmand for some special place - this will be so much easier!

Hope you get out yourself for Easter!

Comments

Fri 22 Mar, 17:05

There are three types of markers:

• “Public”
  • “Private”
  • “This journey only”

(If you haven’t saved the journey, you don’t get the third option.)

Anything marked as This journey only comes along with the route whenever you, or anyone else, view it.

Public and private are your markers – they appear whenever you open the map page.

Public markers might be used in the future to suggest good rides to other cycle.travel users. If 10 people have put a cafe marker at the same place, for example, it sounds like there’s a good cafe there, so c.t might suggest it.

Private markers will never be used for this – they’re 100% confidential.

I might adjust some of this in the future, perhaps to give the option to change markers to “this journey only” when you save the route. But the essence is that anything you mark as “private” will only ever be shown to you, so you can put your home on there or whatever.