Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

Cue sheet oddity

Friday 15 March
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

I was recently in Devon and wanted to test my Wahoo GPS with a cue sheet generated by cycle.travel so I planned a little loop round lanes that I know near Crediton. I was riding east from Shobrooke towards Thorverton and spotted something odd which would have confused me greatly if I didn't already know the roads there...

The road I was on comes to a T-junction at Raddon Cross with the road coming down from Raddon Hill. I needed to take a right and very shortly after that a left. The cue sheet just instructed me to take a left, as if my road had priority at the junction and I was bearing right. If I had obeyed the left turn instruction I would have in fact headed north up the hill.

I thought that the problem was probably caused by somebody making a mistake on OSM but that looks ok (Raddon Hill road straight through, others stop at it)?

If there is something wrong on OSM could somebody please explain it so I learn how to fix that kind of thing in the future - thanks.

I worked out how to correct a couple of mistakes I found in OSM-Todmorden and cycle.travel picked up my changes a week or so later.

Comments

Sat 16 Mar, 22:21

I’m pretty sure that’s c.t doing something wrong rather than OSM! I’ll look into why – thanks for spotting it.

Fri 22 Mar, 02:01

Cheers.

I have noticed the same thing happen a couple of times back up in the Calder Valley since then. Again, if I had been actually navigating from the cue sheet I would have got confused by missing instructions.

Fri 22 Mar, 22:02

It happened again today. It may or may not be relevant (?) but all of the times that I can remember it happening were when 2 consecutive cue points would have only been (say) 5-20 metres apart.

Sat 23 Mar, 10:33

Oh, and I had set announcing turns 30 metres early. 

Sat 23 Mar, 11:51

Yes, I think it’s something to do with the detection of dog-leg junctions going awry. Looking into it.