Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

“Off route” audible warning in app?

Monday 4 March
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

Richard, I thought the app had an audible bell or something when I go off the route. I have gone off route several times and only seen the “Ignore / reroute” onscreen prompt — no audible warning. Is my memory faulty?

I am using spoken directions. iPhone app 1.2 on iOS 17.3

Comments

Mon 4 Mar, 22:33

Your memory isn’t faulty! I wonder if the latest iOS version has removed the system alert sound that cycle.travel uses… it wouldn’t be the first time something like that happened.

The Android app has a much more characterful audible alert so I might just port that across.

Tue 5 Mar, 08:10

Thank you — in the meantime I will be more vigilant 😀

Tue 5 Mar, 15:03

I realized what was going on. I have my phone set to silent (as I almost always do). When the phone is on silent, the alert tone for “off route” is also silenced. 

Enhancement request: if I have voice announcements turned on, the app can say “off route!” or something similar. 

Wed 6 Mar, 19:36

I do agree that the iPhone alert tone could be more characterful. As it is, it sounds like any other app notification that I can ignore. 

Mon 11 Mar, 13:35

I see that in iPhone version 1.3 the alert tone is more characterful and also sounds when the phone is in silent mode. 👏 

I did notice that other audio playing on the phone became very quiet after the off-route alert sound, then returned to normal volume at the next spoken c.t announcement. The system volume level as shown in control center does not appear to change during this process. (iOS 17.3.1)