Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

Auto-routing change request

Saturday 17 February
by SOli ☕
in forum cycle.travel
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

Hi Richard

Local knowledge says that this route is suitable for road bikes - selecting ‘paved’ routes you around miles of (not great) road, when there’s absolutely no need. Please see screen. Please alter auto routing to select this for all. 

Comments

Sun 18 Feb, 10:12

You can go into open street maps editor and see if that section is marked as suitable for bicycles and have a look at the surface type, or if you would like. If you could send me the location I could take a look at it for you.

If I remember correctly, Richard updates the map data for this website once a month so after the change is made, it might take a while before you will be able to route along that section.

Sun 18 Feb, 18:54

This is the path in OpenStreetMap:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/140174352

It’s currently marked as a compacted surface, grade3 tracktype (“an unpaved track”), and bad ‘smoothness’. Consequently c.t won’t route over it in paved mode.

If it’s genuinely paved then you can change that in OSM and c.t will pick it up at the next routing update.

(Note that c.t’s routing option is “paved” and not “road bike” – i.e. it will never route over any unpaved section in that mode.)

Thu 22 Feb, 23:03

Hmmm, not sure what to say/do then. It is rough but it's not long and nor is it really unsuitable for (any) bikes. I just hate to think that the route offered when 'paved' is selected, is really NOT the right route for the sake of such a short section of, ultimately, cycleable terrain.

Fri 23 Feb, 12:51

That’s the way the routing algorithm works I’m afraid, but don’t forget you can always switch modes between two via points – so if you’ve planned a paved journey but want to use another section for a short distance, put a via point on either side, and then at the first one, select ‘Go any way to next point’.