Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

Routes with red dots on maps

Monday 8 January
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

I am actually at a bit of a disadvantage here because I'm usually colour blind for the color red. 

I always see a lot of routes with what I think are red dots when I open any map. 

They have nothing to do with the route I am looking for but they are always there. What do they indicate? And why are they always shown? I'm sure they indicate something potentially very useful so I'd love to know what they are.

Many thanks

Glenn

Comments

Mon 8 Jan, 11:44

Are they cycle routes?

Glenn

Mon 8 Jan, 13:27

Asking people to ID red dots on a map - with neither the map nor dots! - is a pretty big ask! :-)

Assuming you're talking about the (default) CT map the key will give a good indication of what routes can look like. You'll see that National bike routes are red dots, normally with a label and fairly obviously connected to each other. 

If you want more information on them, create a bit of a route along one, add a viapoint, then click on it. The textbox normally has more info. A quick google will usually add  more info.

The other red dots that I am familiar with are train stations. You'll see one, for example, at Duxford (very bottom, middle).

Depending on where you are, other map styles - especially CycleOSM and OpenCycleMap - will show bike routes in a clearer setting, using a different style that may suit your eyes better.

Mon 8 Jan, 15:10

thanks!

glenn