Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

Volume of spoken directions again

11 Dec 2023
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

Can I echo the post by Moto Way of 20th November?  I find the volume in the Android app too quiet while riding.  This is odd as Google maps, OSMAnd and other mapping apps give much louder directions.  There doesn't seem to be a reason why CycleTravel should be so quiet.  Uhless I am using the wrong volume control?

Comments

Tue 12 Dec 2023, 06:16

Totally agree with you - the voice directions in CycleTravel can be really hard to hear sometimes when you're riding. I've had that issue too.

Have you tried accessing the volume controls directly on your phone rather than just using the app slider? On my Android there's a volume shortcut on the side of the phone that overrides anything set in an individual app. Might be worth checking if CycleTravel is still quiet when your system volume is maxed out that way.

Anyway, hope you can get it working better. Safe riding out there!

Tue 12 Dec 2023, 13:35

I confess to being a bit (a lot!) puzzled by this one. cycle.travel asks Android to read the text at the default, 100% volume. On my Nokia phone it seems pretty loud.

So I’m unsure as to why it’s quieter in some circumstances. Could you clarify – is this when any other sound is playing (e.g. music) or all the time?

Sat 23 Dec 2023, 14:11

I think I've got it. My android phone has 5 sliders for volume of accessibility, system, media, notifications and ringtone. Cycletravel uses the MEDIA volume. It can help if you enable the  option in volume settings to use the volume keys for media volume. 

Sat 23 Dec 2023, 22:52

That’s really interesting - thanks for hunting that down. Out of interest, which slider affects the other apps?

Sun 24 Dec 2023, 09:18

I can't answer your specific question, Richard, but my Android (Xiaomi 10) has 3 sliders: Media, Ringtone, Alarm.

I had a poke around at this before but gave up in frustration! 

However, there is also a "Sound Assistant" that allows me to customise sounds. The two options are:

1. Adjust media sound in multiple apps 

2. Multiple audio sources

Both are either on or off and I'm too dim to understand exactly what they do.

Under the general Settings menu, there is also the "Notifications & Control Centre", with a sub menu for "App notifications". However, CT doesn't show up on that at all.

My very amateur suggestion would be a type of checklist for people to go through if having problems with audio volumes. It seems that away from the Default situation, there are a host of customisation options that could be having an effect. Not to mention differences in Android versions! 

Rather you than me! :-)

Happy Christmas!! It's been a very productive and exciting 2023! My respect and gratitude to you. 

Sat 9 Mar, 17:23

I think this should be fixed in the new version of the app. I’ve changed it to use the notifications channel rather than the music/media channel. Would welcome any reports from people who’ve tried it out on the road!