Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

Feature request: Avoid canal towpaths

8 Oct 2023
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

Thanks for such a great app!

Often the routes generated suggest a canal - I think that's a nice idea in much of the world but it would be very helpful if I could skip canal towpaths on the cycle routes generated. That's because, in London on a remotely nice day, the tow paths are full with large groups of people and it's very hard to make forward progress.

Comments

Mon 9 Oct 2023, 08:12

I'm not sure how such a request could be facilitated. I'm in a part of the world pretty far from London and recreational traffic is not just subject to the weather but to the day of the week as well. 

CT makes use of traffic vehicular) data to choose the quieter options. I'm not sure such data exists for foot and non-vehicular traffic.

In practical terms, the judicious use of a few viapoints will direct you away from the places you want to avoid. 

Mon 9 Oct 2023, 12:38

The good news is that this already exists (for the UK, at least)!

If you choose ‘Night’ mode, it will try to avoid canal towpaths and paths through parks. You can toggle this on/off for individual legs by adding via points and choosing ‘any way / night’ in the popup bubble.

It’s a fairly experimental feature and doesn’t always get it right but it’s mostly there.

I think there’s a case for always avoiding the Camden section of the Regent’s Canal, in particular, because it’s so busy and narrow. But as Hobbes says it’s hard to represent that in the source data.

Sun 19 Nov 2023, 10:03

Thanks both! Yeah my current approach is using viapoints but I haven't tried night mode, but I will do.

Definitely agree with the idea of generally avoiding that section of the Canal, the narrowness on the bridges in particular means it's a risky prospect even in the early morning with very few people.