Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

time to see improved cycleways in cycle.travel maps?

24 Sep 2023
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

Hello!

I like very much cycle.travel for planning trips, ans especially, it is fantastic for optimizing bike routes aside traffic. So I got motivated to try to improve the documentation of cycle ways on OSM. Now, 2 weeks afer my last edits, I do not see them appearing on cycle.travel map displays. What is the frequency of those updadtes ?

Thanks!

Cécile

Comments

Sun 24 Sep 2023, 12:35

Updates are generally done about monthly. Richard previously mentioned that recently that month may be stretched as he's busy with the app. I'm sure they'll be updated soon!

As an aside, can I ask how you learned to edit OSM, please? Any tips? 

Sun 24 Sep 2023, 12:47

Exactly that; it’s usually every month. But I’ve been a bit head down with the Android app recently so it’s running late – sorry about that. I’ll be kicking off a new update in about a week’s time.

Sun 24 Sep 2023, 12:51

Mainly trial and errors and incremental learning... The most difficult was to get into the logic of the million attributes one can gibe to a line...

I started editing OSM by drawing hiking paths in the forest in a region I visit often, by recording the paths with a gps on the phone and uploading them to OSM, so it was much less crowded than a city.

As for the bike route improvement, this is mainly changing attributes of roads and paths (e.g. some are labelled as only pedestrian ways while they are actually bike and pedestrian, or a road has a bike lane which is not documented etc). And then when there is something specific (like a road which is one way for cars but not for bicycle), I found it relatively easy to find instructions on the web.

Sun 24 Sep 2023, 12:59

OK, thanks for the info! I'll be patient :-)