Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map My

TCX files missing cue sheet data

Wednesday 21 March
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

I use an app on my phone (Bike Tracker) for turn by turn navigation which uses TCX files. When I export a TCX file from cycle.travel, a lot of the cue sheet information seems to be changed / missing / abbreviated. For example, I live in a suburb of Manchester, and while in the area, the cue sheet information on the laptop will show "turn left onto ... Road" but the information in the TCX file just shows "left Manchester". Why the loss of info ?

Comments

Fri 23 Mar, 12:37

The official specification for TCX says that coursepoint names can't have more than 10 characters, so there's a limit to what it can fit in. But that said, it should be choosing the road name rather than the city name usually. Could you give an example where it's getting it wrong?

Fri 23 Mar, 17:26

Hi Richard - thanks for getting back to me on this. First can I say that the route choices from cycle.travel are exactly what I am looking for. You really have an excellent site for route planning.

Looking at the file contents from the different GPS export options :-

1. GPX track contains a list of "trkpt" with lat and long.
  2. GPX route contains a list of "rtept" with lat and long
  3. TCX course contains a list of "trackpoint" followed by a list of "coursepoint"
  4. TCX activity contains a list of "trackpoint"

It is the 3rd type which appears to me to have the missing info in the coursepoints. An example of this is the following course point which on the website says "Turn Right onto Hazelwood Road" :- 

<CoursePoint>
  <Name>Manchester</Name>
  <Time>2018-03-23T16:21:37Z</Time>
  <Position>
    <LatitudeDegrees>53.37838</LatitudeDegrees>
    <LongitudeDegrees>-2.11471</LongitudeDegrees>
  </Position>
  <PointType>Right</PointType>
</CoursePoint>
Notice : No mention of Hazelwood Road.

Just looking in a TCX file output (from RideWithGPS) that works fine in my turn by turn app, it has :-

<CoursePoint>
  <Name>Hazelwood</Name>
  <Time>2018-03-23T16:10:55Z</Time>
  <Position>
    <LatitudeDegrees>53.37838</LatitudeDegrees>
    <LongitudeDegrees>-2.11471</LongitudeDegrees>
  </Position>
  <PointType>Right</PointType>
  <Notes>Turn right onto Hazelwood Road</Notes>
</CoursePoint>
The difference is the <Notes> line which has the turn instruction. I don't know if this is part of the official TCX spec or if it's just some sort of work around. I think the data in <Name> is irrelevant.

Hope that helps. 

Sat 24 Mar, 14:46

Ah, that’s interesting – thanks for spotting. Ok, I’ll take a look at putting the full information in the Notes field. (Garmin are pretty terrible at documenting what any of these stuff ever does!)

Tue 27 Mar, 23:09

This should be up and running now. Let me know how it works for you.

Thu 29 Mar, 17:35

Have created a route and looked at the output in the TCX file and it all looks good. Will see if I can get out on a ride this weekend to check it works in my turn by turn app. 

Many thanks for looking at and sorting that so promptly.

Fri 30 Mar, 11:44

Did a short ride this morning. My turn by turn app worked fine with this new format TCX file. Thanks again.