Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

uploading a gpx file into cycle.travel

22 Jul 2016
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

Is there a way of uploading a gpx file into cycle.travel?

I've had a look round the site but not found any obvious way of doing so.

Comments

Fri 22 Jul 2016, 23:19

There isn’t yet but (whisper it) I’ve been working on this and I’m hopeful it should be available in the next couple of weeks.

Tue 13 Dec 2016, 15:10

Hi,

I've been trying to do this as well. Is there any update on this becoming possible?

Thanks.

Wed 4 Jan 2017, 15:10

It's now up and running - experimentally. Click 'My 🚲' , then 'Journeys', then 'Upload'. You can then upload a GPX and it'll convert it into a cycle.travel journey.

There's a few provisos which are listed on that page, but have a go and let me know how you get on!

Fri 13 Jan 2017, 16:46

I think the ability to upload files is going to be really useful - especially getting a route and then finding nearby accommodation. So I have had a go. On one file (a 100k route) it worked fine.

On the second it would only work if I reduced the number of trackpoints from 1000 to 500....not sure what effect this has on the route then produced. For reference it is this route. http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=kfsruszylmvmlrdq

Not sure whether this is a particularly large file but the ability to import a multiday file could be a benefit.

Tue 19 Mar 2019, 11:19

I want to try this but my Garmin routes don't seem to be accepted because they are not GPX files. Anyone know if I can convert them easily to GPX from either .Tcx/.Fit?

Wed 1 Apr 2020, 20:23

Wanted to upload a GPX file, but when I click on the "My" tab on my laptop (Windows 10 and Chrome) there is no Journeys tab. Here's a screenshot. Any suggestions ?

However, on my Android mobile (using Chrome), I can see the Journeys tab (along with Travelogue, Shortlist and Profile tab), so can transfer my GPX files to my mobile and load them from there, but would be easier from my laptop. 

Can I also add that I have only just stumbled onto the fact that, as mentioned in another post, that you can add a c.t icon and plan on your mobile, and it is EXCELLENT !!!

Sun 5 Apr 2020, 10:33

Do you have access to your saved routes through the Map screen. See my screenshot, they are on the LHS.

Sun 5 Apr 2020, 10:36

Ah, I see you wanted to upload, so I have not answered your actual question.

Sun 5 Apr 2020, 15:46

Thanks for looking Graham.

I've just setup Microsoft Edge browser, and that works fine on my laptop.

And I've just got Chrome working now ... I had a customised font setting (using Times New Roman), revert back to Chrome's standard font and it all works again.

Computers !!!!!!!!!

Sat 23 May 2020, 12:55

New to cycle.travel and happy to find all these great features including the GPX upload. I suppose the only thing is that it rebuilds a route using paved/unpaved roads. Would it be possible to force the original track and still have cues (with reduced info of course) ? Thanks !

Sat 24 Apr 2021, 11:14

I want to ride the King Alfred's Way. Cycling UK publishes the route 9 GPX files. I have tried to upload using Richard Fairhurst's instructions 4 Jan 2017 - It's now up and running - experimentally. Click 'My 🚲' , then 'Journeys', then 'Upload'. You can then upload a GPX and it'll convert it into a cycle.travel journey.

I am using a MacBook and Garmin Edge Explore.

Any help will be great.

Sat 24 Apr 2021, 11:35

I have just tried again and got this error message - Sorry

You must enter a title and choose a GPX file to upload.

Here's the GPX file I uploaded - KAW 1 Test Valley (format GPX / 14 KB) 

Sat 24 Apr 2021, 13:05

That GPX file just has routepoints in I’m afraid – cycle.travel needs it to contain trackpoints for the upload to work.

But if you’re after King Alfred’s Way, this should do the job: https://cycle.travel/map/journey/174895

Wed 21 Jul 2021, 18:46

Is it possible to add an option to GPX upload so that it doesn't try to interpret and create a route, just displays the turquoise overlay track?

Mon 26 Jul 2021, 22:11

Very good idea. I think I’ll probably add it to the background selector in the map rather than the GPX upload itself, but definitely worth adding – will add it to the list of stuff to do this summer!

Mon 23 Oct 2023, 16:15

Hello Richard,

This thread seems to suggest that a GPX import retaining the original track was under development.

Is it possible to import and stay with the original route now? (I am importing an OS Maps GPX route that a member of our group has generated.  The route is chenged on import).

Thank you.

Tue 24 Oct 2023, 07:40
Is it possible to import and stay with the original route now? (I am importing an OS Maps GPX route that a member of our group has generated. The route is chenged on import).

The possibility to directly import a gpx file without possible changing doesn't exist but the possibility to import a "Trace" does.

A Trace will be a faithful representation of the imported route and can be used to recreate the route by adding via points.

More info here: https://cycle.travel/forum/thread/5355