Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

Uploading gpx file

29 Jul 2017
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

First of all let me say this site is an amazingly good route planning tool. I have some questions about uploading gpx files:

- when I download a suggested route from cycle.travel as a gpx file, and then upload that route later in order to edit it, I get a single point on the map. It seems that the route is pruned back to the starting/finishing point (which in a suggested route are the same point). Indeed, if I delete a few points using gpsprune and thus make sure there is a gap between the start and end point, the route loads ok. Basically cycle.travel decides that there is no need to go anywhere when you want to end up where you start - great logic, but not a philosophy that works well for travellers :-)

- uploading a gpx file always makes cycle.travel reinterpret the route before displaying it. Especially when the route is a track I have cycled before (and therefore there are no waypoints to 'pin' the route), this often changes the route dramatically. It would be great if the upload function would have a tick box to specify 'display the route as is'.

Comments

Wed 2 Aug 2017, 10:08

I’ve (hopefully!) fixed the issue with circular routes not being uploaded correctly – try it and see. Thanks for spotting!

On the second one, I’m curious – when you have a route that you don’t want reinterpreted, what is it that you want to use cycle.travel for? Most of the functions of the route-planner wouldn’t work with an ‘unroutable’ track (no dragging, no turn-by-turn directions, no elevation). Some could perhaps be made to work (accommodation, PDFs) but it would require a bunch of tweaking. But I may be missing something…

Sun 3 Sep 2017, 10:50

Sorry for the delay, I've not used the website for a few weeks.

Uploading suggested (circular) routes now works. Thanks!

My second question related to routes I have done, or have created in the past (using tools other than cycle.travel), and that I want to improve or extend with the (drag) features of your website. What I do now is load the gpx file into cycle.travel and then I display the route in mytourbook on another monitor so I can check how the suggested cycle.travel route differs from my old route (I usually have parts of routes I don't want to change). However, I can see it is not trivial to add via points automatically to keep the old route, while leaving it editable. Probably not worth the effort, unless others would also like this feature.

Mon 4 Sep 2017, 15:05

Hmm! Do you have an example of a GPX that doesn't come out on cycle.travel as you'd expect it? I can have a play around and see if I can improve the matching...

Sun 10 Sep 2017, 16:18

Here is a file that is a circular route when I load it into MyTourBook but on cycle.travel it has the ends squeezed.

Sun 10 Sep 2017, 16:20

Oops, I thought I could attach a file before submitting my post - that must be on a different forum. How do I get the original gpx file to you?

Mon 11 Sep 2017, 11:31

Probably the easiest thing is just to email it to me! [email protected] .