Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

Naming GPX Tracks

26 Jun 2016
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

This is a a brilliant site for route planning - Thank you for developing this  

It seems esp useful for touring in Europe where there are so many cycle paths to choose from  . However, having named a track and downloaded it into my GPS (  Garmin Etrex 30), the name reverts to cycle.travel. I then have to rename it manually on the Etrex , which is rather cumbersome.  Is there a way of solving this?

Comments

Tue 5 Jul 2016, 17:36

Hm. Which format are you downloading the track in? (GPX track, GPX route, TCX?)

Tue 26 Jul 2016, 14:14

I'd like to second this.

If you download as GPX track it is always named "cycle.travel" on my Garmin device. It would be a great addition if you could enter a name in the download dialog box.

As a quick fix you can simply open the downloaded gpx file in a texteditor and change the trackname directly in the xml data. If you look into it you will find the displayed name in the <name></name> tag. Simply replace the "cycle.travel" string in between these two with the track name you'd like to be shown on your device.

Tue 26 Jul 2016, 20:06

Ah, I see the issue. If you save the route on cycle.travel first, then it’ll use the name you saved it under. But if you haven’t saved the route it’ll just call it ‘cycle.travel’ as you’ve spotted.

I’ll look into providing an option to enter the name otherwise – I’m coming round to the idea there’ll need to be an ‘Advanced settings’ section on the GPX download dialogue!

Sun 28 Aug 2016, 22:04

A similar issue occurs when you create a multi day route and then using Memory Map split it into day sections and tweak start and end points to align with accommodation. When loading to the Garmin as a GPX file it names sections either as the original file name in Cycle Travel or 'track' or 'track split'. Changing the name as above seems to work OK but will test further.