Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

Unroutable section

5 Jun 2016
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

There is a section local to me marked in the map as a path, but which is in fact an unclassified byway that is navigable by bicycle, but th emapping refused to allow me to select that section as a route.  At the same time it quite happily routes through nearby fenced off and secured Ministry of Defence establishment roads. 

Is it possible to submit correction information to OpenCycleMap/OpenStreetMap?  

The areas concerned is in Corsham, Wiltshire, UK.  I have marked the prohibited routes in red and the byway that cannot be routed but should be in green in the image below:

Comments

Sun 5 Jun 2016, 15:13

Interestingly I can select the green section above in Garmin Connect when set to use OpenStreetMap.

Sat 11 Jun 2016, 13:29

This may be down to it being a military area, there are other threads on the subject here.  Access is generally complicated.  As you are on the spot you are probably best place to say what is allowed so have a look at their designations in openstreetmap and correct them.  Some are service roads so I don't think access is assumed even without the added complication of the military region.

The green route is a byway and outside the military zone.  I've added a bicycle = permitted tag in OSM so it will route next time Richard updates c.t.  I would have expected a byway to be routeable even without that extra tag,  Maybe Richard can elaborate on the default behaviour for byways.

Tue 14 Jun 2016, 19:42

@SoreTween : Brilliant - thanks.

Thu 23 Jun 2016, 16:16
Too soon to thank me it appears.  C.t has been updated but the byway still will not route.  It appears to link correctly to Spring Lane and St Barbara's Road and the tag I added is still there.  I'm stumped. 
Fri 24 Jun 2016, 13:12

Don't worry - the map updates a short while before the routing does. The routing is now up-to-date (well, UK and Europe, North America will take another day) and it seems to be routing along the byway happily!

Sun 3 Jul 2016, 09:31

Genius!  Thanks.