Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

Getting routed down no public access or right of way farm tracks...

1 Jun 2023
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

I've just been sent down a no public right of way when set to paved only on a route near me... What should/can I do to report this to help prevent others doing the same?

Thanks.

Comments

Thu 1 Jun 2023, 17:13

The underlying data used is from OpenStreetMap

https://www.openstreetmap.org/

You can zoom into the the area and use the "add a note" feature to highlight the issue for other volunteers to investigate and fix.

You can also become involved and edit the map yourself.

Perhaps if you (make sure the route is not private) and post the URL here more help will be forthcoming

Thu 1 Jun 2023, 17:43

Thank you, 

I'll do just that, I'll have a play and see if I can post the route here.

Tbh I'm not sure what the status of the track is but somebody out there will have more idea than me...

Thu 1 Jun 2023, 23:16

Not a problem.

If you look at "my journeys" you should see a (eye)glasses symbol. If they are sunglasses, the route is private so click on teh sunglasses to make it public.

Then open the route, copy the url from the top of the page and post it here like this:

https://cycle.travel/map/journey/428113

Sun 4 Jun 2023, 13:34

If you can say where the track is, I can take a look – many (England & Wales) counties have public rights-of-way data that we can legally use for OSM, so I can try and correct it according to that.

Unfortunately access rules on “service roads” (paved farm tracks and the like) is a bit of a weakness in OSM!

Sun 30 Jul 2023, 23:50

Hello Richard, apologies I only just stumbled back across response. The track in question starts at the grid ref below and continues northwards to meet up with a road. I think ot may be the case that the first half of it (to the farm) is legit, but the second half is not.

NY 98592 51971

Mon 31 Jul 2023, 16:00

Thanks – I’ve fixed it in OSM so it’ll show through in c.t next time we take an update.

Tue 1 Aug 2023, 23:45

👍👍👍 great stuff.