Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map My

User instructions and help

2 Feb 2015
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

cycle.travel was recommended to me by someone on the CTC Forum and I can certainly see why. It's by far the easiest way of getting from A to B. But as easy as it is, I still have some questions and would appreciate some help. 

1.   Are instructions available anywhere on the website?

2    What criteria ie road surface, elevation etc is used for offered routes?

3.   Is it possible to the user enter criteria preferences?

I'm grateful for any help. I would really like to use cycle.travel. It seems to be a really first class operation. Now I just need to learn how!

Cheers

Bob Zeller

Comments

Mon 2 Feb 2015, 11:56

Good idea - I'll put together a quick-start guide!

But in brief:

It combines a lot of factors (road type, motor traffic levels, elevation, surface, signposted cycle routes, and so on) to look for an all-round good route. There's no way for the user to adjust the preferences, I'm afraid - all the possible routes are precomputed once a fortnight or so, which is how the routeplanner can work so quickly. But if there's a part of route you'd rather avoid, just drag the route away from that.

Mon 2 Feb 2015, 13:49

Thanks for the reply.

Cheers

Bob

Wed 4 Feb 2015, 16:42

Sorry, more questions. There is a button for accommodation, but does it work only on already programmed routes? Does it work outside of the UK as well?

If I want to load one of the cycle.travel routes into my Garmin Tour Edge, can I load it directly into the device or do I have to load it onto Basecamp first.

Thanks

Wed 4 Feb 2015, 21:02

The accommodation button works everywhere – try it and see! Some places have more hotels listed than others (depending on who our providers have signed up) but there’s generally a good spread: if there’s a section where you can’t find anywhere, drag the route to a nearby town and click again.

A couple of other users have suggested you can drag routes directly onto an Edge Touring: here’s the thread in question.

Thu 5 Feb 2015, 19:15

I've put together a quick help page here. Not linked from anywhere yet, but let me know if there's more stuff you'd like to see explained on it.

Sun 24 Dec 2017, 22:03

It has taken some time for me to have a go at using cycle.travel and today's journey presented a problem. Perhaps you can advise. If I am cycling along on a cycle.travel plotted course, but roadworks forces me onto an almost kilometre long detour, will my Garmin Edge Touring indicate when I am back on course and make appropriate corrections to my 'distance-to-finish' box. I don't want Garmin to recalculate the course automatically, I want to continue on my cycle.travel course. Is that possible?

Thanks

Sat 13 Jan 2018, 20:04

I have a Garmen Edge Touring Plus. It does a good job for me, but one area where I struggle is to be able to resume turn-by-turn instructions on the Garmin  after I return to my plotted course. As an example, let's say I plot a course from Lille to Armentieres using RideWithGPS. Halfway along that route, I see another road leading to an interesting site that I hadn't included in my plotting. I deliberately go off course to visit that site and then when I have done that, I reverse my route back to the point where I went off course. If I then restart on the plotted course, going in the right direction, I get a small course line and an indicator showing my position as I move along it. But, there are no turn-by-turn instructions. If I were to be using cycle.tour, would I get the turn-by-turn instructions and the audible beep.

Many thanks

Fri 20 Apr 2018, 18:06

This is a fantastic planning tool - thank you Richard.

If the summary of my route states that there is x miles on unsurfaced roads and y miles of pushing, how can I find out where those portions of the route are located?

Fri 20 Apr 2018, 18:08

Another question: When I'm plotting a route the towns and roads are minimally labelled.  Is this something that I can adjust in my settings?  Sorry if these are stupid questions.

Fri 20 Apr 2018, 18:08

Another question: When I'm plotting a route the towns and roads are minimally labelled.  Is this something that I can adjust in my settings?  Sorry if these are stupid questions.

Wed 16 Jan, 12:46

I need advise about dealing with climbs. How can I see climbing percentages, heights etc on a plotted route. Thanks

Wed 16 Jan, 13:00

Hi Bob - there’s a little elevation button on the left. Click this and it’ll bring up a graph which you can hover your mouse over. 

Wed 29 May, 16:39

Yet another question if I might. Can you please explain the symbols that are used to define the types of roads and trails that are on the cycle.travel generated route. I very much like the idea of sticking to paved roads as much as possible and I do see that you provide a breakdown of what are presumably the various surfaces. But could you please explain the symbols (and the colour system). 

Many thanks

Wed 29 May, 17:34

Please do! We are currently riding in Latvia and spent many kilometers on sandy roads. But I could not determine that from the route map.

Thu 30 May, 09:10

Bob

If you are planning a route, there are options to use  either  "Paths & roads" or "Paved only ".

So if you want to keep to only paved road route you can.   There is a little slide button top left just under Search and Directions 'From - To' section

This may help when you are planning  - and sliding the button from one to other you can see where the track sections are,

Sat 1 Jun, 20:39

Kathy – when you plan a route, you’ll see that although most of it is highlighted in blue, some sections are highlighted in green. The latter are unpaved.

I’m just this evening doing a map update, which will mean unpaved roads are also shown with a dashed edge on the basemap (i.e. if you haven’t planned a route). That’s already the case for the North America map – just expanding the feature to Europe this evening!

Sun 2 Jun, 18:15

But what do the different colours used in the graphics that symbolise roads mean.? They have percentaged attached so I presume they indicate the percentage of a road or path's material it is constructed with in greater than just labeling a road or path. But what materials?

Thanks

Sun 2 Jun, 21:13

The little graphics are busy roads, normal paved roads, traffic-free paved, unpaved roads, traffic-free unpaved, pushing, and ferries. If you hover your mouse over each one a little ‘tooltip’ appears to explain.

The percentages are how much of the total route each one represents… so they always add up to 100%. You might see 80% paved road, 15% traffic-free, 5% pushing, for example.

Wed 5 Jun, 08:29

Hi Richard,

Would be possible to add to the help page you created a legend of the colors of the path in the map? Green seems to be for unpaved roads and blue for paved ones. There is also the red and violet dots for cycling roads.

Yesterday I spend some time explaining this to someone I had shown cycle.travel.

Another requests I got yesterday:

- would be nice to have a button in the map to center to our position (and also center automatically if we have given the permission in the browser).

- it would be nice to be able to have a button to show/hide see the elevation graph on the mobile phone.

Cheers,

Miguel Anjo

Mon 26 Aug, 09:50

Richard, will you be adding the capacity to plan a route from one location ie a hotel to the next night's hotel?

Thanks

Bob

Wed 28 Aug, 22:19

Hi Bob – interesting idea; how would you like a feature like that to work?