Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

Busy/quiet routes

Sunday 19 July
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

I appreciate the path/road switch. However, I have noticed that in the areas I know there are sometimes quieter routes with less traffic than the one suggested. An additional toggle between busy and quieter routes would be helpful. BTW the cycle.travel mapping is the best I have seen. Thanks you Richard for establishing and maintaining a great resource for touring cyclists.

Comments

Mon 20 Jul, 12:38

Generally cycle.travel will try to find the quietest route whenever it can – but it’s an imperfect science and it doesn’t always get it right; data on road traffic levels is hard to come by and often non-existent. Is there anywhere in particular you’re thinking of?

Sun 26 Jul, 14:16

I was thinking of the route from east Pilton (north Edinburgh) to Aberdour. The traffic can be really busy and can make cycling unpleasant. The cycle route closer to the Firth of Forth is much nicer and the Sustrans NCN route is quieter.

I hope that this helps.

All the best

Derek Cassells

Sun 26 Jul, 20:21

Interesting example! Lots of the route that cycle.travel chooses is actually traffic-free but it’s beside busy roads. At present cycle.travel doesn’t take the surroundings of a route into account, just the quality of the route itself, but it’s something I’m actively looking at.

Sat 12 Sep, 08:34

Having used cycle.travel for some time it is my preferred cycling route planner for a number of reasons (such as clarity of mapping, ease of re-routing et cetera). I still use my other favourite, Cyclestreets, which gives three types of routes: Quietest; Fastest; and Balanced. I think the provision on cycle.travel of route options like this would be a very useful addition (at least for me!) Thank you for providing such a useful website.