Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

Dowload to Garmin Touring

14 Dec 2019
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

I have been using Cycle.Travel extensively for planning cycle touring routes, and I would like to make a couple of suggestions.

Firstly, would it be possible to have an option to show distances in kilometres? I prefer to use metric.

Secondly, would it be possible to offer the option to type a route name when downloading a GPS route? When I download routes to my Garmin Touring, they always appear with the filename "cycle.travel" because this is in the GPX track header as "<name>cycle.travel</name>. This means I can only download routes one at a time. 

Comments

Wed 18 Dec 2019, 10:11

If you make an account on cycle.travel you can already change km/mile under 'profile' -> 'preferences'.

Wed 18 Dec 2019, 10:18

Sure! Both possible.

For kilometres, click on ‘My bike’ and then ‘Profile’, and then you can change your settings.

For route names, you need to save the route on cycle.travel first. Then, once you download the route, it’ll take the name you saved it under.

Sun 22 Dec 2019, 22:57

I had rather hoped to do these things without logging in - I am suffering strongly from password fatigue, defined in Wikipedia as "the feeling experienced by many people who are required to remember an excessive number of passwords as part of their daily routine".

Actually, I have found that I can give the route a sensible name by editing the GPX file using Notepad, so this problem is solved.

I am currently planning a tour of Wales, which is currently in 51 segments and will go through multiple iterations before the final version, depending on many factors including the availability of accommodation. I have to split the route into segments because the Garmin Touring has a tendency to crash with large GPX files. 

Wed 8 Jan, 12:14

@Christopher

I would also suffer from password fatigue. But I use password manager (vault). I don't think it's humanely possible to live without them safely (for your money and your mental health).

With their extensions, they make logging into websites a breeze and allow me to set different strong passwords for websites. Given that the one I use is free, I just see no reason not to use them.