Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

Route references

5 Aug 2015
by mjray
in forum cycle.travel
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

Would it be possible to add non-numeric Local Cycle Network Route references to the map? For example, it's rather difficult in Norwich to know which route signs I should follow. Thanks.

Comments

Mon 17 Aug 2015, 13:25

I'm experimenting with this at the highest zoom level (16). I think the crux is going to be places with really dense cycle networks – I’m a little anxious that the refs (which are often imperfectly signed) might displace street names (which are more reliably signed) and so on.

Unfortunately in Norwich, a mapper has recently expanded the ref tags to 'Orange Pedalway' etc., which is too many characters to fit on any sensible shield and so won't be rendered in any case. But King's Lynn is looking nice on my development setup!

Wed 26 Aug 2015, 16:58

Thanks - we're developing the LCN for Lynn at the moment and noticed that some maps had a length limit on ref tags.

Might it be possible to truncate ones like Norwich's? They'd still be comprehensible.  Or at least mention them in the route descriptions. It's debatable whether their coloured squares (pretty widely attached to posts and signs now) are actually easier to follow than street names (often only placed at street ends).

Wed 26 Aug 2015, 16:58

Sorry for the multipost. I pressed reload after getting "Incomplete response from application".

Wed 26 Aug 2015, 17:31

I think I was restarting the server at the time! Putting them in the route description is a good idea and should be doable - I'll look into it.