Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

Pennine Bridleway

7 Jul 2015
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

I'm planning an attack on the Pennine Bridleway in 4 weeks (yikes!) and I'd like to use C.T to plan my daily maps and excursions off route to feed/sleep stops. 

Many of the trails used aren't even on OSM yet, for example the northernmost few miles from the B6259 Hazelgill to the A683 Ellergill has a big gap in the OSM trails.  I've uploaded the gpx from National Trails to OSM but I've no idea how long it will take for that to be usable.  Even then, creating the whole route again in C.T will be a bit of a pain.  Is there anything you can do to shortcut me handballing it?

Thanks

Comments

Thu 9 Jul 2015, 18:28

Hats off. The Pennine Cycleway was exertion enough – but the PBW is something else entirely…

Automatically creating routes from uploaded GPXs is an ambition but a very distant one, I’m afraid – it’ll require a bunch of changes in OSRM (the underlying routing engine) and that’s Difficult Stuff. I wish I could promise it but I suspect if I worked on it for four weeks solid it still wouldn’t be finished!

But I can take a look at finishing off the route in OSM. I’m not sure how usable the National Trails GPX will be licence-wise but there may be something we can do.

Sat 11 Jul 2015, 18:03

No worries Richard, you've mentioned it as being one of your less easy goals before.

My upload of the published gpx came to nowt, I've no idea why, it's just not there under my uploads.  I can't see how the gaps on OSM can be filled without riding it, it's not a case of updating tags on existing ways, too many are absent entirely.

Hopefully in mid August I'll have 2 sets of gpx files to upload to OSM.

Sun 12 Jul 2015, 13:56

I see a big chunk of missing track near Kirkby Stephen has appeared in OSM, edited by  'Richard' no less :-)

I'm working my way North from Matlock currently trying to figure out how to add a cycle=yes tag to a way.

Meet you somewhere in the middle.

Cheers Richard

Mon 13 Jul 2015, 18:15

I think if you re-run your scripts it should all now route.  Turns out there weren't as many missing sections as it first appeared.  Running North I've set bicycle=yes on probably well over 100 track and bridleway 'ways'.  I've added nodes where sections of bridleway crossed but did not intersect roads, checking on streetview they were crossings rather than bridges first.  I've also joined up a good number of ways that didn't quite meet.  Just North of the Moorcock Inn at Garsdale Head I reached the tracks you've added.  I've done both ways round Todmorden/Bacup and the Settle loops.

It's entirely possible I've missed a bridge or a gap somewhere but fingers crossed.

Mon 13 Jul 2015, 19:55

Wow - terrific work! I'll look at setting the scripts running tomorrow if possible.

Thu 16 Jul 2015, 07:56

The refreshed UK data is uploading at the moment - should be live on the site later today (though for some reason my broadband has decided to embark on a go-slow... sigh).

Thu 16 Jul 2015, 19:43

Ok - new UK data now live.

Mon 20 Jul 2015, 18:59

Cheers Richard,

No surprise really, I had missed a couple of paths which I've now corrected in OSM.  It is close enough for me in a fortnight. Next time I spot you've run an update I'll complete the route and make it public.

Thanks again.