Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

Routing Database Updates

16 Jan 2015
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

I was just wondering how often you update the routing database. I made some edits on OpenStreetMap around the 8th December last year, and I don't think they're showing up yet. I'd expect the route at http://cycle.travel/map/journey/10185 should go east and then south and then cross the A11 using the underpass -- unless there's an error in my OSM edits. From the route shown it looks to be using old OSM data.

Just over a month isn't a particularly bad lag, but perhaps it would be good to have a "Routing Database Last Updated" date shown somewhere on the site, to help with diagnosing any issues. Apologies if there is already and I've missed it.

Comments

Fri 16 Jan 2015, 19:37

In theory, every fortnight! In practice... we're having a couple of hardware problems at the moment - the routing preprocessing server has gone kaput, and it's a sufficiently big task (requiring 128GB RAM) that it's not something that can be offloaded onto the rendering or site servers, sadly. There should be a new server in place in a couple more weeks, at which point we can resume the updates - sorry for the delay.

Sun 25 Jan 2015, 23:36

The hardware is now back in action!

European routing, UK background map, and European background map are fully updated. UK routing will follow in a day or two (it's a slightly more involved process because of the traffic level data). Thanks for your patience.

Thu 29 Jan 2015, 17:45

The UK routing is now updated. There's a lot of new code behind the scenes so there might be teething problems - let me know of any you find.

Fri 27 Feb 2015, 11:26

Thanks for the updates. The test route in my first post now works as expected.