Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

Navigating by voice commands not possible?

Saturday 27 April
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

Hello,

I tried using the app on my smartphone to route me for the first time today. As I didn't have a mobile phone holder on my bike, I had to put my mobile phone in my jersey pocket. Unfortunately, the voice commands for routing then failed to materialise because the GPS connection was apparently interrupted when the display was off. Or is there a setting that I can use to ensure that I receive voice commands even when the mobile phone display is off?

Thank you for your feedback. 

Best regards, Uwe

Comments

Sun 28 Apr, 10:59

Uwe, voice commands are available.

In Android, tap on 'Settings', select 'App settings' and tap on 'Announcements'. There you can choose between Spoken, On-Screen and None. IOS should be similar.

After that, you may need to adjust the phone settings and/or volume depending on how your phone is setup and any other apps you may be using.

It is possible to choose to 'dim between turns' (a few options above 'Announcements) which has the (battery saving) effect of switching off the screen on stretches between turns. In itself, the screen going to sleep will not affect GPS reception and the screen will come back to life for every turn/announcement.

While the theory is sound, I wouldn't recommend your method for anything other than the most basic, simple and binary routes. A holder will be far more rewarding. 

Sun 28 Apr, 12:44

On iPhone, the app will continue voice directions even when it’s in the background (screen off).

On Android it doesn’t do that yet, because Android makes these things harder and I haven’t had the few days’ time required to do that! But it’s high up the list so although it won’t be in the next version of the app (in a few days’ time) it should be in the one after that – hopefully late spring.

(On both apps, you can also tell it to dim the display while the app is active, which will save your battery – choose “Dim between turns” from the settings page.)

Mon 29 Apr, 13:20

Thank you very much, Richard. Your reply confirms that I'm not a stupid user after all. Thank you for that.

Best regards, Uwe-Jens