Route GuidesRoutes City GuidesCities Map Log in

Markers

Monday 19 February
Find a better bike route. Try our map & route-planner »

Become a supporter

When I put a marker on a route map it doesn’t transfer to the app. Am I doing something wrong?

It would be handy to have that as an option….

Comments

Mon 19 Feb, 21:01

It’s not in the app yet – it will be in the next version.

Thu 22 Feb, 04:48

OK, thanks. 

Sun 21 Apr, 04:49

Any chance the update will be soon? Like before I leave on my trip the sixth of May? :-)

Sun 21 Apr, 09:22

Yes, it will be!

Fri 3 May, 16:12

Yay!

Thank you!

Sun 19 May, 17:25

Hi Richard,
I have some markers placed on this journey https://cycle.travel/map/journey/567862, but they aren't transferring to the app.

Are there any steps I should take to make them appear? I have the latest version of cycle.travel currently

Sun 19 May, 18:35

Tait, I'll try to help. You don't say if you're on Android or IOS?

There is currently a glitch, at least on the Android version, where CT is not displaying all of the symbols. The triangular tent symbol, at least, is an issue. 

Looking at the sample route provided in the Patreon email   https://cycle.travel/map/journey/578868 I can see that the 'star' symbol you are using is visible, both on the website and in the app. I can't explain why it displays in the sample route and not in yours. 

According to the instructions, to add a marker for a journey only, the journey must first be saved. Can you recall if you did that? Perhaps make a quick, dummy route, save it, then add some markers. See if they display in the app?

I copied your route and while I could see all the markers on the website I could see none in the app. 

Then, I picked the marker south of Flensburg, edited it to change the status to 'private' (it will show on the map irrespective of route). This is visible in both the app and the website.

The marker closest to Flensburg I edited to be a heart (also displays on my app) but left its status as 'this journey only'. While it will display on the website when the route is active it will not display on the app.  

If this is urgent, I suggest editing the markers to be 'Private' and these will display on your app. 

Sun 19 May, 20:20

Thanks Hobbes,

I’ll convert them to private. It will probably help with route planning that way anyway

Sun 19 May, 22:13

Just an update: I tried making them private, and tried setting a new route and they still aren't showing in the app.

I'm using the iOS app version 1.4.1

Sun 19 May, 22:26

Tait, I know nothing about IOS. 

However, I have noticed that on the Android app I may need to wait a short while before newly added Markers show up in the app. I suggest closing the app, then reopening it. If the Markers are labelled as private then they should be visible in the app even with no route loaded. Just scroll the screen to the general area. 

I presume you can see the markers on the website?

Actually, did you create the markers on the website or the app? (Can't do it on the app in Android but maybe on IOS?)

Have you tried my suggestion above of creating the dummy route, saving it, then adding a couple of markers? 

Sun 19 May, 22:44

Thanks Hobbes,

The markers are visible in the website, but not in the app, even with no route loaded. They were made in the website.

I made the dummy route, saved and then added some markers and they still are not appearing in the app.

When I open 578868 in the app, the markers are appearing for that route only. The markers I have set to private are not appearing along with these. So it looks like the markers work in some instances, but not others.

Mon 20 May, 07:45

Tait,

When I open 578868 in the app, the markers are appearing for that route only.

Is this not different from before? Now the Markers (or at least some of them) are appearing in the app?

I've just created a local, dummy route with Markers (this journey only and other Private ones) visible in the app. (Android)

Anyways, I suggest you wait for Richard to have a look.    

Mon 20 May, 14:12

If the markers are set to be “public” or “private”, rather than “this journey only”, then they should show up all the time for you – whether or not you have a route loaded.

If that’s not happening, could you try logging out then in again (in the app), and let me know if that fixes it?

Mon 20 May, 15:40

Thanks Richard,

They are showing now after logging out/in again. Much appreciated. 

Thanks to Hobbes too for your help

Mon 20 May, 16:59

Great – thanks for trying that. It shouldn’t be necessary so I’ll take a bit of a look at the app to remove the need for it.

Wed 22 May, 13:15

I am struggling to move the marker. I right click and then click on "move", but then nothing happens. please enlighten me

Wed 22 May, 13:18

ok I got it now Richard